Brief Project Overview
Closed in 1999, the Oakland Army Base is a 330 acre site in West Oakland. After much consideration regarding what should become of the site, Oakland City Council decided on an intermodal transportation hub accommodating shipping and rail to increase capacity for global trade and logistics. The massive project has numerous important implications for Oakland and Bay Area residents, including:
- Increased jobs and employment opportunities
- Increased capacity for international trade
- Increased efficiency in port operations
- Responsible use of public and private lands
- Beautification and better public access to the waterfront
- Enhancement of environmental policies aligned with public interests
Since being brought on board as the owner's field representative and public utilities liaison in mid-2015, SK Builders has gained the trust, respect and gratitude of all the disparate stakeholders involved. Our ability to identify and address “scope gaps” is what sets us apart in the industry; along with a proven track record in successfully navigating municipal and regulatory bureaucracies to expedite permits and resolve code and zoning issues—both anticipated and unforeseen.
With vertical construction underway in multiple project gateways, the Oakland Global project is on track to commence logistical operations by 2020.